Friday, January 1, 2021

2020 Summary and Stats

 2020 has come to an (almost) end and here's just a bunch of fun stats and info from this year of reading.

I will say that I started this year barely reading anything.  Being an English major from 2009-2013 killed just about any love for reading I had and I didn't read much since graduating (seriously, probably less than 15 books over the past 7 years). I kept wanting to get back into reading but my brain just wasn't having it for whatever reason. Then, as part of my 2020 resolutions, I wanted to start reading more books and I set my GoodReads goal at 20 books and got an Audible subscription.  I take my dog to daycare twice a week and it is about an hour drive round trip.  So I had 4 hours a week where I was in a car with nothing better to do than listen to audio books (I think I finished 3 over the first two months of the year?).  Then the pandemic hit and I didn't leave my house for 2 months and my audiobook listening dropped off.  Then, while I was finishing up my MBA degree during the first half of this year, I just decided to give romance books a try.  I had been watching some romance booktubers and I figured these sounded like fun, fluffy books that I could just enjoy and hopefully wouldn't trigger my English major aversion to reading.  Romance books were the ticket and the rest is history (that you can read on previous reviews). 

Total # of Books Read: 140

Romance Books: 115

Total # of Pages Read:  42,768

DNFs: 9 

 Longest/Shortest Books:


Average Rating: 

New Favorite Authors: Polly Hall, Melanie Harlow, Max Monroe, Lucy Score, Nicole Snow

Favorite book: The Taxidermist's Lover by Polly Hall

I read this book as an ARC and loved it so much I bought a hardcover copy when it was released.  There is a review on the blog already but I'd just say here that if you find the synopsis interesting go ahead and give it a go.

 

I also loved Riley Thorn and the Dead Guy Next Door by Lucy Score and I think that one has a much broader appeal.  It is a very light murder mystery comedy with a bit of romance and psychics mixed in so if that sounds more up your alley than The Taxidermist's Lover, I would highly recommend it as well.

 

5-Star Reads: 34

     

     

     

 

Least favorite book: I don't have one that sticks out to me.  I did make an effort to value my time reading and only pick up books that a) I really think I'm going to like and b) not feel bad about DNF'ing books that weren't working for me.  I usually DNF around the 30% mark and I do make a note in my GoodReads review about why I put the book down.  Here's a link to my DNF shelf on GoodReads if you really want to look through them.  I don't have any 1-star ratings this year and most of my 2-star books had some aspect I did like but usually didn't follow through overall in their execution.



No comments:

Post a Comment