Friday, December 31, 2021

2021 Reading Stats

 As much as I like looking forward to and setting goals for the new year, I love breaking down my reading stats over the past year even more.  I tracked my reading separately on an Excel sheet for the first time ever this year so I have some extra fun breakdowns plus the ones provided on Goodreads and/or StoryGraph. For my reading, I have everything basically split between romance and "other" (primarily mystery/thriller/horror). 

I do have both Goodreads and StoryGraph accounts, they're linked below (the ratings and reviews are identical between the two sites)

2021 Reads on Goodreads

2021 Reads on StoryGraph


Top books read in 2021

For my top books, I made a little bracket and picked my favorite read from each month.  I narrowed it down to my top 3 choices per grouping and highly recommend any and all of the books that show up on either list!  I've linked the corresponding blog post for the top 3 in each category but I do have reviews of all books listed on the blog.

Mystery/thriller/horror:

Top 3: 

Blood Parish by E.J. Findorff

A Dark and Secret Place by Jen Williams

The Final Girls Support Group by Grady Hendrix 

Honorable mentions:

Point Roberts by Alexander Rigby  

What Lies Between Us by John Marrs

The Burning Girls by C.J. Tudor

The Liar of Red Valley by Walter Goodwater

The Southern Book Club's Guide to Slaying Vampires by Grady Hendrix

Grave Reservations by Cherie Priest

Welcome to Cooper by Tariq Ashkanani

These Violent Delights by Micah Nemerever

A Flicker in the Dark by Stacy Willingham (ARC, pub date January 11, 2022)


Romance:

Top 3

All the Feels by Oliva Dade

In the Middle of Somewhere by Roan Parrish

Lovelight Farms by B.K. Borison
 

Honorable mentions:

Office Grump by Nicole Snow

Like You Love Me by Adriana Locke 

Her Soul to Take by Harley Laroux

Stud Muffin by Jiffy Kate

Baking Me Crazy by Karla Sorensen

Cinnamon Roll by Anna Zabo

Tie Me Down by Melanie Harlow

 

Top Authors:

In 2021, I read from 164 unique authors.  Here are the ones I read multiple books from (non-romance authors are highlighted in orange)

 

 

 Reading/Rating Breakdowns


# Books Read Total: 193

# romance read: 115

# mystery/thriller/horror: 78

# DNFs: 5

 

Where sourced books from:

8 audiobooks from Audible

62 ARCs (from either NetGalley or BookSirens)

78 from Kindle Unlimited

22 from my local library


All up average rating: 3.84

Average romance rating: 3.81

Average mystery/thriller/horror: 3.88


All up 5 star: 47 books

5 star romances: 21

5 star mystery/thriller/horror: 26

 

ARC Stats:

Total # ARCs read: 62

# NetGalley ARCs: 83

# Book Siren ARCs: 9

 

# Romance ARCs: 10 

        Average Rating: 4.2

# Mystery/Thriller/Horror ARCs: 52

        Average Rating: 3.86

 

Financial Stats:

When I was tracking my reading this year, I also kept note of the prices of the books (Kindle/paperback/hardback).  Not every book had a paperback/hardback price, but all of them had a Kindle eBook price.  I looked up the prices on the day I wrote the review so prices could be higher/lower now but this was just to get a ballpark.  I used Amazon for my pricing details because I do use KU/Audible so some books I read were exclusive to the Amazon platform so I just kept it consistent across all books.   

(all costs are in USD)

Total cost if all books were purchased as Kindle eBooks: $1285.78

                Cost of all romance as eBooks: $463.90

                Cost of all mystery/thriller/horror as eBooks: $821.88


What I spent:

Stand alone book purchases: $0.00

KU membership: 9.99/mo * 12 months = $119.88 for the year

Audible membership: 15.85/mo * 12 months = $190.20 for the year

Total spent: $310.08



Month by Month Breakdown


That's all the stats I have for 2021.  I added a few extra fields to my spreadsheet for 2022 so I can hopefully have some more fun data to play around with next year (page counts, trope/subgenre, etc)


No comments:

Post a Comment