Thursday, March 14, 2024

The Gathering - CJ Tudor

 

This mystery follows Barbara Atkins, detective with the Forensic Vampyr Anthropology Department, as she arrives in Deadhart, Alaska.  There, a teen boy was found with his throat ripped out and the town is calling for Barbara to authorize a cull of the local vampyr colony.  However, Barbara isn't so sure this case is as open and shut as the town believes it to be.  With an impending snow storm and tensions in the town growing, Barbara is on limited time to find the truth behind the killings. Enlisting the help of a former sheriff who almost lost his life the last time the vampyrs were accused of killing, the two dig into the town's history and reveal more than they could have ever expected.

This was such a fun read and it wasn't what I was really expecting.  I thought this would lean much more on the sort of vampyr hunter trope but I loved how it was pretty much a regular police procedural.  We have a full investigation, suspects (both human and vampyr) and a town full of red herrings.  We get right into the action and the investigation hooked me from beginning to end.  We also get a set up at the end for a potential series which I would love if we got.

I know police procedurals aren't everyone's preferred mystery sub-genre (I really enjoy them).  However, I think this has a good mix of the horror and supernatural elements layered in.  This had everything I want from my police procedurals - protagonist with a bit of baggage, a seemingly straightforward case that ends up being more than expected, a solid investigation thread, and a satisfying and surprising whodunnit ending reveal. The layers of vampyr lore and the every day horror of living in a remote area really intensified the main mystery elements.  I also loved the choice to have Barbara be in her 50s and overweight as opposed to maybe the more typical hot shot newbie female detective. 

I was thrilled with how Tudor introduced us to the vampyrs of this world by giving us a few quotes from various publications and legal documents in the opening of this read.  While these quotes are obviously fake, they did a great job of setting up the history of the vampyrs in this world in a way that was extremely easy to digest. This meant that the reader goes into page 1 with a basic understanding of what a vampyr is in this setting which was extremely helpful given the vastly different types of fictional vampire types to choose from.  This also helps avoid any heavy handed or odd exposition dump by a character or plot device like listening to a radio.  As the story progresses, we learn more about vampyr history as well as the vampyrs themselves.  If we do get a series, I would love to see the vampyr side of things explored more.

I absolutely loved the theme of outsiders and 'us vs them' which play out beautifully in this remote and isolated setting. I know those are themes for a lot of 'monster' books because it is such an easy line in the sand to draw, but Tudor also gives us some examples of how those lines get blurred, especially over time.  I didn't feel like any character were caricatures, but we certainly saw the whole range of responses to the alleged vampyr killing.  I also loved the world building around anti-vampyr sentiments.  I don't want to go into details because of spoilers but I found these touches of the lore to really help make it feel like the vampyrs were living beside humans for ages, they weren't some creature that came out of the darkness recently.  We have that generational trauma and prejudice that comes out in many different ways - some more obvious than others. 

Overall, this was a great procedural read with a good sprinkle of fun vampyr on top.  I absolutely loved the investigation as well as lore and world building.  I hope we do get a series (or at least a sequel) out of this world because there is a lot more I want to see.

Thanks to NetGalley and Ballantine Books for the ARC.  Expected publication date is April 9, 2024.

No comments:

Post a Comment