Thursday, June 14, 2012

Not That Kind of Girl - Siobhan Vivian

If you’re an active reader of young adult fiction, you’ve probably heard of Siobhan Vivian.  Her most recent novel, titled The List, came out to rave reviews (as of this post, it has 4.5/5 stars on Amazon.com, which is one of the places I go to read review).  Not That Kind of Girl is Vivian’s second novel and I will be reading all of them.  This novel centers around Natalie Sterling during her senior year of high school.  The book’s title hits home what this story is about – a girl discovering what kind of girl she is.  Identity is a constant question in this novel.  Natalie consistently draws lines between her and the other girls at her school.  But the events in the novel lead both the reader and, eventually, Natalie to question what is the difference between her and the other girls.  Is she really the kind of girl she thinks she is?  And is the answer to that question a bad thing?  Vivian excellently captures the identity crisis that we all begin to experience during our teenage years – an experience that lasts much longer than the four years of high school.  This book will resonate with anyone who is still trying to figure out who they are and where they stand in the world.  And if you’re one of the lucky few who has that figured out, this book will pull you right back into that time where you didn’t.  It was an emotional roller coaster that I didn’t want to end.

I was amazed at how incredibly relatable the characters in this book were and how realistic the setting felt.  The characters were not cliché or stock at all.  The characters start out playing the usual roles of student council president, quarterback, ditzy freshmen, etc.  But as the book progresses, we see these characters break out of these roles and become people.  At one point, one of the characters says that since he has sisters, he doesn’t like it when boys are sexist and crude and my heart just melted.  The same sort of transformation occurs in the main character, which made her much more likable.  At the beginning, I felt like she came off as sort of a bitch.  Real stuck up and better than everyone.  But she softened as the book went on and I actually found myself relating a lot to her.  I could also see a lot of myself in Autumn and the other characters, although more so Natalie.  And while I could see a lot of my personality in her, she was also a lot different.  In a strange way, it made me see what my high school life could have been like.  Being able to relate to this character emphasized the emotions in the story and the change in the main character over the 300 pages and being able to see that same change reflected in my own life - which, in my case, was a positive change.

What I found difficult to get my head around with this book is Natalie’s (for lack of a better term) stupidity when it comes to her relationships.  She has this irritating bullheadedness about her that at times made me want to throw the book across the room in frustration.  This is hard to explain without spoilers, but there are times in the novel where she is blind to what is going on around her.  And on the one hand, I really liked it because the novel was written in first person and if she was totally aware of everything and super self-aware, she wouldn’t feel like a real teenager.  But I feel that Vivian went too far in this direction.  At least it would have been nice to get some acknowledgement that she could be denying or ignoring her feelings when it comes to her interpersonal relationships.  It was frustrating, but not so irritating that I had to put down the book (which has happened before). 

Overall, this was a fast paced, funny, smart, and overall tightly put together story that made me keep reading.  It made me cry, get angry, and turn the pages in hope that the story was going where I wanted it too.  Emotional roller coaster is the best way I can describe my reading of this book and it is a ride I would take over and over again.

 Rating: 4/5.  Emotional roller coaster.  Seriously.

336 pages

No comments:

Post a Comment