Thursday, June 14, 2012

Post Format


I realized, unfortunately, a few days after posting my first review that I should probably explain how I review books.  If you’ve read any formal book reviews, such as the ones in the New York Times, you’ll see that mine are very different.  I have critiqued many short stories in my writing classes, all of which required a formal print out of my comments so the professor could make sure we were all reading the stories ahead of time and were thinking critically about the writing craft and all that jazz.  Anyway, these critiques never had a real format to them.  Bullet points were fine, long paragraphs were fine, even a page or two of hand written notes were fine.  But when I took Writing Youth Literature, we were finally given a general format to follow and that is the same format I now use for all my fiction classes and it is the one I’ll use here. 

My posts will be formatted (loosely) as follows:
General summary and broad feelings about the book
What I liked about it
What I disliked about it
Last thoughts
Picture and rating

There may be times where these sections blend together or get mixed around, but these are the general points I would like to hit with every post.  And, as always, my posts are 100% spoiler free!

No comments:

Post a Comment